What Should I Do if Involved in an Accident?
Were you injured in an auto accident? If so, you are not alone. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), there were 65,539 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2013, with 89,270 people sustaining a serious injury, and 3,377 people losing their lives.
Data from TxDOT reveals that most accidents in Texas result from drunk driving, tailgating, and speeding, failing to yield, and running red lights or stop signs. You can be the best driver in the world, but no matter how responsible you are, you simply cannot control what other drivers do.
Considering the fact that your chances of being involved in a crash at least once in your lifetime are high, it is important that you know what to do if that day comes. This way, you can protect your rights to fair compensation should you ever have to file a personal injury claim.
What to Do After the Accident
- Check for injuries. If anyone is hurt, help them. Be sure to call the ambulance if one is needed.
- If possible, move your vehicle out of the roadway to a safer place where you can exchange: names, addresses, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers, vehicle license plate numbers, and insurance information.
- Document the scene. Take pictures and/or video of the vehicle damage, skid marks, weather or road conditions that may have contributed to the crash.
- Get the names and phone numbers of any eyewitnesses to the crash.
- Whatever you do, DO NOT admit fault to anyone as an admission of fault can impede your ability to obtain a fair settlement.
When to Call the Police
Call the police if:
- Anyone was hurt or killed,
- You cannot move the vehicle,
- You suspect that the other driver was intoxicated,
- One of the drivers is uninsured, or
- One of the drivers flees the scene.
If no one was hurt in the accident, you don’t have to wait for the police before moving your vehicle out of traffic, Texas law requires that you move your vehicle to safety if it can be moved.
Contact Lenahan Law Firm
After an accident, contact the Dallas personal injury attorneys at Lenahan Law Firm. It’s critically important to remember that the insurance company is NOT ON YOUR SIDE. The best way to protect your rights to fair compensation is to immediately secure legal representation, just visit our Case Results page to learn why you can trust our team to handle your case!