Children are the most precious thing in our lives. We send them to school so they can learn and grow. And schools have a responsibility to take precautions to protect children.
It’s horrifying to think that anyone would want to harm children, but school shootings continue to occur at an alarming rate. In 2022 there were 332 people wounded or killed in school shootings. And these events occur 19 times more frequently than they did just 12 years ago.
Schools, law enforcement agencies, and others must do everything they can to prevent these horrendous shootings. If you were injured in a school shooting, or if a loved one was injured or killed, contact the Dallas crime victim lawyers at The Lenahan Law Firm right away.
There’s no way to make things right after such an appalling event, but we will file a claim against anyone whose negligence contributed to the harm you have suffered. Our firm has recovered millions of dollars for people who were hurt by the careless actions of others.
Call (214) 295-1008 to learn more today.
In today’s world, schools and law enforcement agencies must have plans in place on how to react to school shootings. All employees must be trained on what to do if a school shooting takes place, and these plans must be followed precisely if a shooting occurs.
Anyone who fails to take the appropriate actions to prevent a school shooting or limit the harm that results may be held liable for damages. This may include:
- School officials. Every K-12 public, private, and charter school must regularly perform active shooter drills so staff and students know what to do in an emergency. School officials who fail to create an effective plan or deviate from the plan during a shooting may be held liable for their actions. This may include a teacher or administrator who fails to warn others about a threat, an administrator who fails to alert all staff members that an active shooter situation is taking place, or a teacher who breaches protocol by leaving a door propped open instead of locking it.
- Law enforcement officials. Delayed response can have disastrous consequences. From the moment law enforcement arrives at the scene, the officers must take control of the situation and take action to confront the shooter as quickly as possible. Without the proper leadership, chaos will ensue and this can have deadly consequences for the shooter’s victims.
- Acquaintances, family members, and counselors who are aware that a person may be planning or contemplating a school shooting have a responsibility to report that person to law enforcement officials right away. Making threats about harming others or stockpiling weapons are suspicious activities that require immediate intervention.
After such a devastating event, the entire community will be in shock. And friends and family members of victims will suffer overwhelming pain. Public health officials will intervene to provide emotional assistance for surviving students and others.
The State of Texas provides compensation for crime victims under the Crime Victims’ Compensation (CVC) Program, but this is hardly adequate to cover your medical costs and other expenses that result from a school shooting.
The Lenahan Law Firm files lawsuits on behalf of clients who were severely harmed or killed. And we often take on large public and private institutions. We have the resources and expertise to handle big cases and we know how to win.
A school shooting personal injury claim is extremely complex. Our investigators will interview witnesses and use the following types of information to determine liability:
- Police reports
- Surveillance camera video
- Crime scene photos
- Forensic evidence
- Digital crime scene re-creations
- Testimony from expert witnesses
Victims of school shootings and their loved ones are facing physical trauma and emotional turmoil that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. School officials and others have a responsibility to adhere to safety policies and practices designed to reduce this threat.
If someone committed a careless act that helped cause the harm you are suffering, they should be required to compensate you for the following types of damages:
- Current and future medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of income
- Reduced earning potential
- Wheelchair access for your home
- In-home nursing care
- Loss of companionship
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Wrongful death
At The Lenahan Law Firm, our mission is to get justice for people who were harmed by the careless acts of others.
The independent rating agency Super Lawyers recognized our firm for providing superior service and we have a perfect 10.0 Avvo rating.
Call (214) 295-1008 to schedule a free case evaluation with a Dallas wrongful death lawyer or personal injury attorney today. You won’t owe us any money unless we win your case.