Motorcycling is more than transportation; it’s an expression of individuality. However, riding a motorcycle always carries inherent risks. If you have sustained a major motorcycle accident injury, understanding your legal rights is vital.
If you’ve sustained severe injuries in a motorcycle accident that wasn’t your fault, you can count on The Lenahan Law Firm for the legal guidance and support you need. We focus on cases involving catastrophic injuries, with a dedication to delivering personalized solutions and successful results. We are known for taking on cases that other firms shy away from, and our commitment to excellence has landed us on numerous news channels, including Fox, CBS, and NBC.
Our Russwood Acres motorcycle accident attorneys are standing by to explore your legal options—call (214) 295-1008 today for a free consultation.
While providing a sense of freedom on the open road, motorcycles are statistically more prone to accidents than traditional four-wheeled vehicles. Understanding the risks associated with motorcycles is essential for riders and drivers alike.
In 2021, motorcycle accidents in the United States posed substantial risks, with 5,932 motorcyclists killed, marking the highest fatality count since 1975. The fatality rate for motorcyclists per vehicle mile traveled was nearly 24 times higher than that for passenger car occupants. Notably, 36 percent of motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes lacked valid licenses, and alcohol impairment was prevalent, with 28 percent of motorcycle riders in fatal crashes testing positive. Furthermore, 43 percent of motorcyclists killed in single-vehicle crashes were alcohol-impaired.
Nighttime crashes saw a stark increase in alcohol impairment, with three times more riders affected than in daytime crashes. Alarmingly, in states without universal helmet laws, 55 percent of motorcyclists killed in 2021 were not wearing helmets, underscoring the importance of safety measures in mitigating the substantial risks associated with motorcycle accidents.
Several factors contribute to motorcycle accidents, with some of the most common causes including:
- Distracted driving: Drivers who fail to be alert to their surroundings can overlook motorcycles, leading to collisions.
- Left-turn accidents: Motorcycles are often involved in accidents when other vehicles make left turns without properly yielding to oncoming riders.
- Speeding: Excessive speed reduces a rider’s reaction time and increases the severity of accidents.
- Lane splitting: Riding between lanes of slow-moving or stopped traffic can result in collisions if drivers are not aware of the motorcyclist.
Understanding these risks and causes can empower motorcyclists to ride defensively and encourage other motorists to be more vigilant on the road.
Motorcycle accidents can result in a range of injuries, some of which may have long-lasting effects. These injuries can include:
- Road rash: Abrasions and lacerations caused by contact with the road surface.
- Fractures and broken bones: The impact of a collision can result in fractures and breaks.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): Head injuries can occur, even with helmet use, leading to concussions or more severe TBIs.
- Spinal cord injuries: The spine is vulnerable in accidents, and injuries can range from herniated discs to paralysis.
- Internal injuries: Blunt force trauma can cause internal injuries to organs, potentially leading to life-threatening conditions.
Knowing the common injuries and what to do immediately following a motorcycle accident is crucial for protecting your well-being and building a strong legal case. Try your best to take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention: Even if injuries seem minor, prompt medical attention is essential.
- Document the scene: Take photographs, gather witness information, and exchange contact details with other parties involved.
- Contact law enforcement: Ensure that a police report is filed, providing an official account of the accident.
- Preserve evidence: Keep records of medical treatment, repair estimates, and any other relevant documentation.
By following these steps, you lay the groundwork for a potential legal claim and prioritize your recovery.
If you or a loved one has experienced the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, finding the right legal support is key to determining liability. This process typically includes examining factors such as traffic laws, witness statements, police reports, and any available video footage. The goal is to determine if one party, whether it’s the motorcyclist, another driver, or even multiple parties, acted negligently or breached their duty of care, leading to the accident. Elements like speeding, failure to yield, distracted driving, or violations of traffic rules are crucial in this assessment.
A Russwood Acres injury lawyer can help you throughout the legal process by providing legal guidance, negotiating with insurance companies, building a strong case, and representing you in court if needed. At The Lenahan Law Firm, we pride ourselves on delivering effective legal strategies for our clients and providing them the attention they deserve. You can rely on us to gather evidence, utilize expert witnesses, and present medical records to demonstrate the extent of injuries.
If you’ve suffered severe injuries in a Russwood Acres motorcycle accident, don’t hesitate to contact The Lenahan Law Firm for dedicated legal guidance and support. Our results-driven attorneys are at your service. We’re here to fight for your rights and the compensation you deserve.
Call us at (214) 295-1008 today, and let’s see how we can help.