The Russwood Acres community of Dallas offers residents a pleasant quality of life with large, grassy lawns and tree-lined streets. The crime rate is low, and living in the area is generally uneventful and safe – but accidents happen, even in this pleasant residential enclave. The neighborhood is bordered by the Dallas North Tollway, Inwood Road, Royal Lane, and Northaven Road. The Dallas North Tollway has been the location of many fatal collisions, with innocent drivers and passengers killed due to negligent or reckless driving. When another party has negligently operated a vehicle, leading to the death of another person, the close family has the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Under the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, Chapter 71, wrongful death is when an individual’s death is caused by a wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, or other type of negligence. In cases in which the actions of another party led to the death of a loved one, the surviving family members have the right to bring a wrongful death action against the responsible party.
The legal team at The Lenahan Law Firm offers focused, personalized counsel to families who have lost a loved one due to wrongful death in Russwood Acres and other Dallas communities. Call the firm to speak with our Russwood Acres wrongful death attorneys at (214) 295-1008.
- Car Accidents: Vehicle accidents are one of the most common causes of sudden and avoidable death. Drivers in the Russwood Acres area, whether residents, visitors, or drivers passing through the region, when driving drunk, speeding, distracted, or running red lights, can collide with another vehicle, cyclist, pedestrian, or motorcyclist, inflicting fatal injuries.
- Truck Accidents: Commercial trucks, vans, service vehicles, delivery trucks, and other large, heavy vehicles travel to and through the Russwood Acres area on the Dallas North Tollway. They enter the town to deliver goods to the local establishments and residents. When a truck driver operates a vehicle unsafely, other drivers, their passengers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and cyclists can suffer fatal injuries.
- Pedestrian Accidents: The tree-lined streets of Russwood Acres are an ideal area to walk and enjoy the weather. Pedestrians, whether adults or children, can pass away from injuries inflicted in a pedestrian accident when a negligent driver fails to stop at a crosswalk, intersection, or parking lot.
- Medical Malpractice: We trust our doctors, surgeons, nurses, anesthesiologists, dentists, and other medical providers to diagnose and treat patients safely. Unfortunately, some medical professionals have acted negligently, failing to diagnose, incorrectly diagnosing an illness or condition, or failing to deliver the accepted standard of care, resulting in the death of a patient.
- Construction Accidents: Construction projects in Russwood Acres are generally smaller scale, including new homes, remodels, and smaller commercial buildings and upgrades. Construction workers are performing duties in one of the most dangerous work environments. In the most tragic construction accident cases, they die due to injuries sustained in falls from heights, equipment failures, trench or scaffolding collapses, vehicle accidents, or other deadly incidents. When a third party contributed to the loss of life, the close family can file a wrongful death claim.
Under Texas law, specific individuals can file a wrongful death lawsuit. A surviving spouse, children, and the deceased individual’s parents hold that right. If the deceased had no surviving spouse, children, or parents, the representative of the individual’s estate could file the claim. A wrongful death lawsuit must be filed within two years of the date of the person’s death in most cases, with few exceptions, under the Texas statute of limitations. Once the deadline passes, the right to file such a claim is lost forever.
The compensation sought in a wrongful death claim will include economic damages, such as loss of financial support, inheritance, and earning capacity, and non-economic damages, including the loss of companionship, mental anguish, and emotional pain and suffering. In some cases, punitive damages may be awarded to punish a defendant proven to have engaged in particularly egregious conduct.
Filing a wrongful death claim requires the assistance of an Russwood Acres personal injury attorney with experience and a track record of successful cases. The Lenahan Law Firm offers individualized legal counsel, taking on a very limited number of clients. This allows our firm to pour all the time and energy necessary into each case and to seek the maximum possible damages.
Contact The Lenahan Law Firm to speak with us about the loss of your loved one and what can be done to seek justice by calling (214) 295-1008.