Drivers on Texas highways share the road with a lot of trucks. A fully loaded big rig truck weighs up to 80,000 pounds. When these trucks aren’t functioning properly, or when drivers don’t have the right training experience to know what they’re doing, people get hurt.
In a recent year, over 700 Texans died and over 7000 people were injured in collisions involving large commercial vehicles. Too many of these accidents were caused by trucking companies that recklessly cut corners just to make an extra buck.
If you were harmed in a Denton County jackknife accident, call The Lenahan Law Firm today at (214) 295-1008. Our experienced trial lawyers will find out who caused your accident and file a claim to help you get the money you need to pay your medical expenses.
We know how to take on the big insurance companies and win. That’s why we’ve won millions of dollars in settlements for our clients.
A big rig truck has two parts, the cab that pulls the load and the trailer that’s attached to it. A truck jackknife occurs when the cab skids and the truck and trailer go in different directions, spreading out across the road like an open pocketknife.
Jackknife accidents are almost always caused by driver negligence or faulty equipment. A jackknifed truck can block an entire highway, causing a chain reaction that harms people in several vehicles.
Frequent causes of jackknife accidents include:
- Improper braking. Drivers are taught to apply the brakes gradually. When an inexperienced or poorly trained driver panics and slams on the brakes, the trailer won’t be able to stay aligned with the truck.
- Distracted driving. A professional driver must constantly monitor the road for possible hazards and changes in traffic flow. If the driver daydreams, checks their text messages, reaches for something in the cabin, or takes their eyes off the road for an instant, it may result in a horrible accident.
- Speeding. The faster a truck goes, the harder it is to stop and the less time the driver has to react to a stoppage in traffic.
- Sharp turns, sudden lane changes, and mishandling the truck as it goes into a curve may cause the truck to jackknife.
- Equipment malfunction. Bad brakes, tire blowouts, or a faulty coupling can contribute to a jackknife accident.
- Weather conditions. Rain, snow, fog, and ice diminish maneuverability and reaction time. Drivers must slow down and take extra precautions.
- Poorly loaded trucks. Overloaded trucks are harder to stop, and uneven loads increase the chance that the trailer will swing to one side.
- DUI. Drugs and alcohol diminish the driver’s reaction time, judgment, vision, and coordination. No one should be driving a big rig truck unless they’re fully alert and capable of making good decisions.
Insurance companies don’t play fair. In fact, they make their money by paying out as little in claims as possible. Insurance agents try to blame truck accident victims for their client’s careless actions, and they might even try to get you to make a statement that could hurt your claim. That’s why you should let your Denton County truck accident lawyer do all the talking.
When you have The Lenahan Law Firm by your side, the insurance companies will know you mean business. Our investigators will examine the following types of information to discover what really happened:
- Police reports
- Witness testimony
- Accident scene photos
- Surveillance video
- Truck driver records
- Internal company documents
If you don’t have a Denton County personal injury attorney by your side, the insurance company will just make a lowball offer that doesn’t come close to covering your expenses. Our team will consult with medical experts to determine the extent of your injuries and file a claim to help you get the money you need to put your life back together. This may include:
- Current and future medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of income
- Decreased earning potential
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Wheelchair ramps for your home
- In-home nursing care
- Wrongful death
The experienced Denton County jackknife accident lawyers at The Lenahan Law Firm have been recognized for excellence by Avvo and Super Lawyers. And we never stop fighting for our clients.
Call (214) 295-1008 to schedule a FREE consultation today. Remember: You won’t owe us anything unless we win your case.