Vehicle Accident Injury Cases Filed Against a Government Agency
The streets and highways in Dallas are heavily travelled, including many government vehicles. Government vehicles include federal, state, county, and city, such as law enforcement, ambulances, fire, and state and county vehicles for various agencies.
If you or someone you love was seriously injured in an accident with a government vehicle in Dallas, the process for filing a claim to recover compensation must be managed professionally. You have a much more limited timeframe to file a claim. It is imperative that you are represented by an experienced lawyer in such a case, as missing a filing deadline can lead to being forever barred from pursuing compensation.
Injury Claims Against Government Agencies
Government agencies, whether city, county, state, or federal, are not exempt from being held accountable for reckless or negligent actions that lead to harm. Every agency has specific filing requirements for injury claims.
- Dallas City injury claims: The city handles their own injury claims, and you are required to complete a claim form, filed within strict time limits. These claims are filed with the Human Resources/Risk Management Division. Various supporting documents must be submitted with your claim form within ninety days of the incident.
- State agency vehicle injury cases: If you were injured in an accident with a state operated vehicle, you have the right to file an injury claim under the Texas Tort Claims Act. State lawmakers have capped the amount that can be paid to an injured party, but every case is unique. Any case against the state should be managed by an experienced personal injury lawyer who is fully familiar with the process and can protect your right to pursue the compensation you deserve.
- Federal agency injury claims: Suing the U.S. government for negligent or wrongful driving conduct that led to serious injuries or death, you have six months in which to file the initial claim forms. Federal agencies only cover injury or wrongful death cases caused by employees who were engaged in work for the agency to which they belong. Injury cases filed against a federal agency tend to be lengthy and complex and should be managed by a very experienced lawyer.
How to Recover the Compensation You Deserve
The process of recovering compensation from a government agency is typically time-consuming and involves several filing requirements. The first step is to determine the value of your case, which will reflect the severity of the injuries sustained. Every detail of what occurred must be documented, along with supporting evidence from the medical professionals who cared for you or continue to care for you.
At The Lenahan Law Firm, our legal team takes on injury claims against government agencies with knowledge, legal talent, and determination to achieve justice for the people we represent. The steps involved in pursuing full compensation include:
- Valuing the costs associated with your medical care, past, present, and predicted for the future.
- Evaluating the financial losses you suffered due to reduced or lost earning capacity.
- Evaluating non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, diminished quality of life, and other personal losses.
To successfully recover compensation, your attorney must develop a powerful, well documented case to present to the government agency, or in court if necessary. Proving that a government vehicle driver was reckless or negligent or in their actions may require interviewing eyewitnesses, evaluating any video footage available, and investigating the accident scene – all of which should occur as early as possible after the accident, so that valuable evidence is not lost or destroyed.
Why Choose The Lenahan Law Firm?
The quality, talent, and experience of your personal injury lawyer will in large part, determine the value of the settlement or jury award you recover. Many personal injury law firms operate as “injury mills,” and an injured person may never even meet the lawyer, no matter how well they advertise. These law firms can have up to 1,000 clients for each lawyer. At The Lenahan Law Firm, we believe that our clients deserve the full attention of our firm, and we limit the number of clients we take on so that we can do the job we are hired to do – seek justice and full compensation for our clients.
If you or a loved one was seriously injured in an accident with a government vehicle, connect with our firm by calling our Dallas auto accident lawyers at (214) 295-1008 as soon as possible after the accident.