Dallas Rideshare Accident Attorneys
Dallas residents and visitors are heavy users of Uber and Lyft for fast, personalized transportation. On-demand rides are popular and convenient – but what do you do if your rideshare driver is involved in an accident? This situation, particularly when a serious or fatal injury has occurred, requires the assistance of a knowledgeable injury lawyer to manage what can be a complex legal situation.
Rideshare drivers from Uber, Lyft, and other smaller personal transportation services are involved in accidents for in the Dallas area, including:
- Driver distraction: Rideshare drivers are often focused on the in-vehicle ride hailing system, or may be texting while driving, or not paying attention to the road and traffic conditions.
- Negligent driving conduct: Driving unsafely in heavy traffic can lead to a collision with devastating consequences for the passengers.
- Speeding: Drivers may choose to exceed the posted speed limit and put passengers at risk.
- Alcohol or drug intoxication: Just like any driver, an Uber or Lyft driver could be under the influence of drugs or alcohol and make poor driving decisions.
- Unsafe lane changes: A driver who is rushing may change lanes unsafely, leading to a side impact crash that injures a passenger.
- Vehicle system failure (brakes, tires, etc.): Any vehicle can have a system failure, such as a blow-out or brake failure that leads to a crash with severe consequences.
- Another vehicle operator caused the collision: Some accidents are caused by the actions of another driver sharing the street or highway.
After an injury accident while being driven by Uber or Lyft, the question of liability comes into play. The company covers the driver only while they are en route to pick up a passenger or transporting the passenger to their destination. If the driver was not engaged in these actions, they are responsible for any accident, and are required to have private auto insurance. If you were hit by an Uber or Lyft driver, determining whether they were currently covered by the company, or their own insurance is a critical point in how compensation will be pursued by your attorney.
If you were involved in an injury accident with an Uber or Lyft driver, whether as a passenger or while operating another vehicle, determining the value of your case involves the following:
- The extent of your injuries, and the economic damages you suffered, including medical bills, transportation costs, rehabilitation, lost wages, lost earning capacity, and other hard costs.
- The non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, emotional anguish, and other personal losses.
To recover the maximum compensation for a rideshare accident, your personal injury attorney must first investigate whether the driver was covered by Uber or Lyft or was operating the vehicle outside of the requirements of the company. Once this is determined, a claim or lawsuit will be filed to pursue the compensation you deserve to the insurance company that covered the driver at that time. Depending on the extent of the injuries, medical experts and financial experts may be necessary. If a reasonable settlement offer is not offered by the insurance company, within a reasonable timeframe, a lawsuit can be filed to seek justice and full compensation in civil court.
At The Lenahan Law Firm, your injury case will be in the hands of one of the region’s most successful personal injury law firms. Every case we take on is personally reviewed by our founder, Marc Lenahan, and we limit the number of cases we take so that each client gets the attention and focus needed to achieve success. We have handled some of the biggest injury cases in the nation, and if you or a loved one was seriously or catastrophically injured in a rideshare accident, we urge you to contact our firm as soon as possible after the accident.
If you were injured, or a family member was seriously or fatally injured in a rideshare accident, connect with a Dallas auto accident attorney at The Lenahan Law Firm in Dallas at (214) 295-1008 immediately.